With summer now upon us, it is important to take steps to ensure the safety of all those summer road trips. Whether you are heading to the ocean, setting out to travel cross country or simply in route to a summer concert, the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommend you prep your car with an emergency road kit. We all know that regardless of how well we take care of our cars, and no matter the year, make or model unexpected car problems are bound to occur from time to time.
Although you cannot be prepared completely for every vehicle emergency that occurs, there are some practical measures you can take to ensure the safety of you and your family should your vehicle suddenly break down or experience an automotive issue. With that said, a completely stocked emergency road kit is a definite way to plan for the unexpected. Here are some of the key items you want to be sure to include in your road kit.
- Jumper Cables – Certainly an item you never want to overlook. Surely there is no more frustrating a feeling than coming out of the mall, your work, church or any place for that matter, and finding that your car has a dead battery. A set of jumper cables is sure to provide an effective solution to this problem and is a key item to include in your emergency road kit.
- Flat Tire Tools – A flat tire can occur at any time, anywhere and without any warning whatsoever which is why having the appropriate flat tire tools on hand is quite useful. A spare tire, lug wrench and a jack are all essential to your flat tire tools and are an important component of your emergency kit. Ensure that the tools are in proper working order and, if possible, take time out to learn how to use them effectively.
- Flashlight – It is never a good idea, nor a fun idea to find yourself stranded by the roadside in the dark of the night without any way of seeing and getting around. Be sure to pack a flashlight in your road kit and make certain you don’t forget the batteries.
- Reflective Hazard Flares and Triangles – If ever you have car trouble or a breakdown and need to work on your vehicle along the roadside, these essential items will help to keep you safe. If you choose not to work on the vehicle yourself, but rather call for roadside assistance, reflective hazard items can be used while waiting for your assistance to arrive.
- Miscellaneous Items – It is also important to include bottles of water, a first aid kit, non-perishable snacks, a blanket, and a phone charger as part of your emergency road kit. With these additional items packed and on hand, you will be more than happy should you find yourself caught up in an emergency roadside situation and stranded for a bit of time.
Summer is finally here and many people tend to travel a great deal in the hot summer months. Vacations are popular this time of year and many are travelled by car. With these facts in hand, it makes good sense to prep your car for any unexpected vehicle occurrences with a fully stocked emergency road kit. Don’t let your summer road trips and vacations get spoiled by sudden vehicle issues. Pack your road kit today to ensure the safety and well being of you and all your passengers. And don’t forget, should you find yourself in need of premier automotive services or repairs then the folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin are just the team for you. Come on down to our facility and let our highly skilled and trained technicians take care of your every need. We look forward to serving you and send along wishes for a safe summer season ahead!!
We all certainly enjoy the freedom of driving the open roads, whether through deserts, grasslands, mountains, highways or forests. However, often times when driving we pass through the homes of many of nature’s most beautiful animals who, many times, wander out into the roads and sometimes at the most inopportune times of all. With that said, the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin want to share with our valued clients some important safe driving tips when encountering our friendly innocent neighbors.
- Start by always paying attention. Although we all typically pay attention when we are driving, there are times when we are looking at something other than the road especially in today’s crazy world of technology. Though you may be driving along on what appears to be a quiet, serene roadway, keep in mind that this false sense of security can be quickly interrupted should an innocent animal wander onto the roadway in just a moment’s time. Animals often appear out of nowhere at all and take us by surprise, so keep your eyes on the road and stay alert at all times.
- Slow down your speed. Especially after dark, it is a good rule of thumb to keep your travel speed below 70 mph. This allows you to be able to react quickly if need be should any obstacle makes its way into your path. During the daylight hours you should always slow down your speed in areas where there are known habitats or wherever animal crossings are posted. Though you may feel as though slowing your speed is wasting your time, the flip side of that scenario, the time and money it would cost if you collided with an unsuspecting animal would be far greater than your mere loss of a few moments time.
- Be certain you have clear night sight. If you are going to be traveling at night it is always best to ensure that your windshield is clear and clean. You should also use your high beams when traveling at night when there are no vehicles oncoming and keep a close watch for the reflection of glowing animal eyes. Be certain to give extra focus and attention at dawn and dusk since visibility is often compromised at these times of the day and various wildlife tend to be more out and about at these times as well.
- If you find yourself unable to avoid hitting an animal, you should remain in your travel lane and hold your brake pedal to the floor. This will help to stop your vehicle quickly and maintain steering control. Blasting your horn can alert the animal and allow them to run out of harm’s way. You should not try to swerve to avoid the animal since this can many times lead to a much more dangerous collision with another vehicle. Though none of us want to cause harm to nature’s beautiful animals, it is your #1 priority to save your own life and the lives of those passengers in your vehicle first.
We are all lucky to be able to share our roads with many of nature’s animals, both big and small. If you engage in a bit of preparedness and stay alert and focused, then surely we can safely get to our every destination while preserving the lives of precious wildlife.
The folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin take tremendous pride in providing top of the line services to all our valued clients. If you are in need of auto repairs or maintenance services, then we are the team for you. Simply give a call out to our team today and schedule your appointment. We hope you found our safe driving tips useful and look forward to serving you with all your automotive maintenance and repair needs.