With school back in session for most, all those school supplies, new clothes, and furnishings (for those going to college) have likely been considered. However, often times one important component is left off of the back to school task list for students, teachers, or even parents who have to drive their kids to school. What is that one important component? Simply put, your car’s automotive maintenance checklist.
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin we have put together a few very important items you need to give focus to before heading back to school. For starters, check your vehicle’s engine oil levels. It is mandatory to keep your oil at appropriate levels in order to enhance your engine performance. Having regular oil changes performed is an absolute must do. Depending on the type of oil you use and your individual daily driving routines, how often you change your oil will vary from person to person, and vehicle to vehicle.
Next, be certain to check your brakes since they are one of the most critical safety features of your car. Be sure that your brakes stop your vehicle quickly and have no strange, squeaking noises or grinding noises when you step on them. If you notice any odd noises, then don’t hesitate to take your car in and have them checked. Further, have your brake pads and rotors check routinely so as to ensure the safety of your vehicle.
The next item on our automotive maintenance checklist is checking your fluid levels. There are a variety of fluids that need to be maintained. From windshield washer fluids, coolant and transmission fluids to brake fluids and power steering fluids be certain to have them all checked and changed as needed.
Finally, the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommend that you always have an emergency car kit on hand. If you do not have a kit already in your vehicle, then its time you create and pack your very own emergency kit. You do not have to make the kit extravagant, but rather included some important basic items such as jumper cables, a jack, a spare tire and first aid items specifically. Each of these items will assist you greatly should your vehicle ever break down on the road.
With that said, our highly skilled and trained automotive technicians stand ready to serve you with all your automotive maintenance and service needs. Our team is committed and dedicated to providing all our valued clients with superior products and services that will simply not be matched by any of our competitors. With prices that are affordable and timelines that are accommodating to you, our auto center has been recognized time and time again as one of the best all round automotive centers this side of Tennessee. When school is back in session, traffic increases, timelines become stressed, walkers are abundant and chances for mishaps and delays are increased.
Having earned ourselves a spot at the top of the marketplace charts, the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin has come to be known as your go to company in Franklin and the surrounding towns for all your automotive needs. If you are getting ready for the new school year ahead, then don’t delay in adhering to our vehicle maintenance checklist. Give a call out to the pros here at Auto Clinic of Franklin and schedule your repair or service appointment today. We look forward to serving you and to contributing to the safety and well-being of you and your family this school season. Don’t delay. Contact our team today!!
Although they are not outwardly visible and certainly not a feature of your car that you typically brag about, your brakes are vitally important to the overall functionality of your car. For this very reason, it is essential that you give focus and pay attention to any of the indicators that suggest it is time for your rotors or brake pads to be checked or replaced. With that said, the folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin want to offer you the insight needed to recognize these warning signs.
First and foremost, if you notice your brake pedal is pulsating then it’s a very good chance that you need to invest in new brake pads. If you press down on the brake pedal and it begins to pulsate or vibrate this is a good indicator that your brake pads are either warped or worn out. If this is the case you can either have them remachined or replaced altogether.
Next, if you notice that your brakes are squealing and/or screeching rest assured it’s time to replace those pads. A high-pitched sound that is emitted when you depress the brakes is caused by the metal shim. If your brakes are over exposed to water you may hear this sound once or twice only. However, if you hear it constantly, then it’s time to pay a visit to the highly skilled technicians here at Auto Clinic of Franklin.
The next indicator is that of a grinding or clicking sound coming from your brakes. If you hear this sound when you apply your brakes, then again, it’s time to replace them. Usually a grinding sound of this sort tells you that your brakes are well beyond the point of questioning whether or not they need replacement. Since the grinding sound is caused by the metal disc and caliper rubbing together because the brake pads are completely worn out, you must not delay. Rather, get on down to our facility as soon as you can because chances are, you need to replace both the rotors and the pads.
Yet another indicator that your rotors or brake pads may need replacing is the simple act of your car pulling. This means that it feels as though your car wants to turn on its own, whether you are driving or braking. Your braking system could have a stuck caliper causing friction on one of your wheels or it could be uneven brake pads or a brake hose that has collapsed. In some cases, it could just be the fact that your tires are not inflated evenly. Regardless, when you feel the car pulling get it to our mechanics for a good once over.
Finally, if you take a peek at your vehicle’s brake pads through the car wheel spokes, you can often determine by viewing if they need to be replaced. The outside brake pad is the material up against the metal rotor. If you notice that there is less than a quarter of an inch, then head on over to our repair shop right away.
We hope you find this information helpful. Remember, if you are in the market for a reliable, professional, certified and highly experienced automotive repair shop then certainly you have come to the right place. Whether diagnostic testing, new tires, typical preventive maintenance or any type of automotive repair, we are the team for you. Our team stands ready to serve you with the best all round automotive services this side of Tennessee. For all your automotive needs, reach out to the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin. You’ll be glad you did!!
Summer is finally here and with all the atmosphere issues, it looks as though we are in for a really scorching hot one. Many people plan their summer vacations and multiple weekend getaways well in advance of summer’s arrival. You probably have already figured out what you are going to pack, what tourist activities interest you and what type of memories you are looking to add to the memory book. But many people forget one thing before heading out for vacation. When driving that long distance to your vacation spot, be sure to have your vehicle checked before you head out so you don’t find yourself falling victim to your car overheating during your travels.
With that said, there are a few things you need to do to ensure your vehicle will not overheat when driving in sweltering summer temperatures. We have taken this opportunity to discuss those items with you so you do not come face to face with car troubles on your vacation.
How to Prevent Overheating
One of the best ways to avoid car overheating problems is simply by ensuring you perform routine maintenance on your vehicle. This is the first and most important step in avoiding any type of engine trouble for your car. With the multitude of systems in your car, some of which are specifically designed to regulate temperatures, you want to ensure that each is performing at peak levels at all times. Your engine oil, for instance, is responsible for providing lubrication to the moving parts of your car’s engine. It also serves to minimize friction and reduce heat. By engaging in routine maintenance and especially oil changes, you help to ensure that your engine is running cool at all times.
Understanding your car’s cooling system is important for every vehicle owner. Your cooling system is comprised of many parts from fans and belts to coolant fluids. Over time the cooling system in your vehicle will develop what are called scale deposits that restrict the circulation of coolant. When this occurs, it is necessary to have your cooling system flushed out. That is where the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin come in. Our highly educated, skilled and trained technicians carry out all the normal examinations of your vehicle and ensure that your car is effectively and efficiently cooled down and able to keep on running for years down the road.
Steps to Take Should Your Car Overheat
If you find yourself faced with a car overheating, make sure to pull over right away. Turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights and then turn off your engine. Make certain not to open the hood of your car at this time. Wait for your vehicle to cool down, typically about a half an hour. You want to wait until the temperature gauge is indicating normal vehicle temperatures. Next, check the coolant levels of the vehicle. You can locate the coolant typically near to the radiator. It is a transparent reservoir. If the coolant levels are low, you must refill the reservoir. We highly recommend when traveling long distances in the scorching summer months that you travel with and extra bottle of coolant.
Next, you want to check the hoses for any leaks by squeezing them. If you feel no pressure from the liquids in the hose, then surely you have a problem. If you decide and are comfortable enough to remove your radiator cap, take very careful steps in doing so. Protect your hand and be sure to tilt the lid in a direction away from your face. Wait until the car is completely cooled down to do this. Never try to remove the radiator cap when the vehicle is still hot. Also, if you find it necessary to pour water into the radiator, never pour it into a hot radiator since that can quickly crack the engine block on your car.
We hope you found this information useful. However, if you are worried about the maintenance and overall health of your vehicle in the sweltering summer months ahead, then simply come on down to our facility and let us perform any needed routine maintenance so as to avoid your car overheating this summer. The friendly, professional technicians here at Auto Clinic of Franklin are on hand to perform all your needed oil changes, fluid flushes, or any type of auto repairs you may have. We look forward to serving you and to helping to make your summer a season of travel, fun and memories for you and your family!!
With summer now upon us, it is important to take steps to ensure the safety of all those summer road trips. Whether you are heading to the ocean, setting out to travel cross country or simply in route to a summer concert, the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommend you prep your car with an emergency road kit. We all know that regardless of how well we take care of our cars, and no matter the year, make or model unexpected car problems are bound to occur from time to time.
Although you cannot be prepared completely for every vehicle emergency that occurs, there are some practical measures you can take to ensure the safety of you and your family should your vehicle suddenly break down or experience an automotive issue. With that said, a completely stocked emergency road kit is a definite way to plan for the unexpected. Here are some of the key items you want to be sure to include in your road kit.
- Jumper Cables – Certainly an item you never want to overlook. Surely there is no more frustrating a feeling than coming out of the mall, your work, church or any place for that matter, and finding that your car has a dead battery. A set of jumper cables is sure to provide an effective solution to this problem and is a key item to include in your emergency road kit.
- Flat Tire Tools – A flat tire can occur at any time, anywhere and without any warning whatsoever which is why having the appropriate flat tire tools on hand is quite useful. A spare tire, lug wrench and a jack are all essential to your flat tire tools and are an important component of your emergency kit. Ensure that the tools are in proper working order and, if possible, take time out to learn how to use them effectively.
- Flashlight – It is never a good idea, nor a fun idea to find yourself stranded by the roadside in the dark of the night without any way of seeing and getting around. Be sure to pack a flashlight in your road kit and make certain you don’t forget the batteries.
- Reflective Hazard Flares and Triangles – If ever you have car trouble or a breakdown and need to work on your vehicle along the roadside, these essential items will help to keep you safe. If you choose not to work on the vehicle yourself, but rather call for roadside assistance, reflective hazard items can be used while waiting for your assistance to arrive.
- Miscellaneous Items – It is also important to include bottles of water, a first aid kit, non-perishable snacks, a blanket, and a phone charger as part of your emergency road kit. With these additional items packed and on hand, you will be more than happy should you find yourself caught up in an emergency roadside situation and stranded for a bit of time.
Summer is finally here and many people tend to travel a great deal in the hot summer months. Vacations are popular this time of year and many are travelled by car. With these facts in hand, it makes good sense to prep your car for any unexpected vehicle occurrences with a fully stocked emergency road kit. Don’t let your summer road trips and vacations get spoiled by sudden vehicle issues. Pack your road kit today to ensure the safety and well being of you and all your passengers. And don’t forget, should you find yourself in need of premier automotive services or repairs then the folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin are just the team for you. Come on down to our facility and let our highly skilled and trained technicians take care of your every need. We look forward to serving you and send along wishes for a safe summer season ahead!!
We all certainly enjoy the freedom of driving the open roads, whether through deserts, grasslands, mountains, highways or forests. However, often times when driving we pass through the homes of many of nature’s most beautiful animals who, many times, wander out into the roads and sometimes at the most inopportune times of all. With that said, the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin want to share with our valued clients some important safe driving tips when encountering our friendly innocent neighbors.
- Start by always paying attention. Although we all typically pay attention when we are driving, there are times when we are looking at something other than the road especially in today’s crazy world of technology. Though you may be driving along on what appears to be a quiet, serene roadway, keep in mind that this false sense of security can be quickly interrupted should an innocent animal wander onto the roadway in just a moment’s time. Animals often appear out of nowhere at all and take us by surprise, so keep your eyes on the road and stay alert at all times.
- Slow down your speed. Especially after dark, it is a good rule of thumb to keep your travel speed below 70 mph. This allows you to be able to react quickly if need be should any obstacle makes its way into your path. During the daylight hours you should always slow down your speed in areas where there are known habitats or wherever animal crossings are posted. Though you may feel as though slowing your speed is wasting your time, the flip side of that scenario, the time and money it would cost if you collided with an unsuspecting animal would be far greater than your mere loss of a few moments time.
- Be certain you have clear night sight. If you are going to be traveling at night it is always best to ensure that your windshield is clear and clean. You should also use your high beams when traveling at night when there are no vehicles oncoming and keep a close watch for the reflection of glowing animal eyes. Be certain to give extra focus and attention at dawn and dusk since visibility is often compromised at these times of the day and various wildlife tend to be more out and about at these times as well.
- If you find yourself unable to avoid hitting an animal, you should remain in your travel lane and hold your brake pedal to the floor. This will help to stop your vehicle quickly and maintain steering control. Blasting your horn can alert the animal and allow them to run out of harm’s way. You should not try to swerve to avoid the animal since this can many times lead to a much more dangerous collision with another vehicle. Though none of us want to cause harm to nature’s beautiful animals, it is your #1 priority to save your own life and the lives of those passengers in your vehicle first.
We are all lucky to be able to share our roads with many of nature’s animals, both big and small. If you engage in a bit of preparedness and stay alert and focused, then surely we can safely get to our every destination while preserving the lives of precious wildlife.
The folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin take tremendous pride in providing top of the line services to all our valued clients. If you are in need of auto repairs or maintenance services, then we are the team for you. Simply give a call out to our team today and schedule your appointment. We hope you found our safe driving tips useful and look forward to serving you with all your automotive maintenance and repair needs.