Your Winter Car Kit for Survival
Winter driving can be challenging sometimes. Drivers have no way of knowing what can happen when on a winter road trip, which is why the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommends every driver have a winter car kit for survival should the unexpected happen.
A car kit that is properly stocked with all the right items from a snow brush and ice scraper as well as a first aid kit to jumper cables, flares and a flashlight can certainly prove to be a lifesaver in an emergency. In addition, your car kit should also include a cell phone charger, fluorescent flag, bottled water, some dry food, snacks, hats and mittens, a pocket knife, and hand warmers. A fully stocked car kit can be a true lifesaver in a storm or road emergency.
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin, we know how cold the winter months can be which is why we also encourage all our valued clients to engage in proper car maintenance as well. Be sure to have your pre-winter checkup so as to avoid any unsuspecting problems on the road. Our team of certified technicians suggests you perform appropriate maintenance checks to your tires, hoses, belts, battery, wipers and coolant to ensure you are prepared and ready for any winter challenges.
EMERGENCY 911 TIPS AND SURVIVAL TIPS
Should you find yourself stranded in a storm and are unable to call a family member or friend here are some tips to follow.
- Call 911. Give them your location, tell them the problem you are having and advise them of the status of each of your passengers.
- Tie the fluorescent flag to your car’s antenna or if you prefer, simply hang it out the window.
- If it is night time be sure to keep your dome light on since rescue crews will be able to spot that glow of light from a distance.
- Use your emergency flares and flashers as needed.
- Don’t try shoveling your vehicle out if you happen to be stuck in a snow bank because this can lead to overexertion and can ultimately result in injury.
- Stay in your vehicle.
- Don’t attempt to walk in the storm since you can either get lost or tire out before reaching a safe destination. In addition, in a storm, other vehicles may not be able to see you walking which puts you in grave danger. Your vehicle will be the best protection and shelter for you and your passengers until help arrives.
- Be sure if you need to run the vehicle for heating purposes, that you check the exhaust pipe and make certain it is free of snow and that you only run the engine for 10-minute intervals. Snow can plug the exhaust system which can cause carbon monoxide, which is deadly, to seep into your car. Be sure to keep a window slightly open the whole time you are stranded and especially when you have the engine running.
- Though it may not be the most comfortable or secure feeling, be sure to keep a positive attitude and stay alert until help arrives.
FRANKLIN’S TOP-RATED AUTO TEAM
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin we strive to deliver the best all round automotive products, services and repairs this side of Tennessee. Our team of dedicated professionals is steadfast in their commitment to meet the individual needs of all our clients. We take pride in our affordable prices, our quick turnaround times and our full lineup of quality automotive products.
There is truly no automotive fix too big or too small for our team. To learn more about winter driving, preparing a survival winter car kit or to schedule a service appointment, reach out to one of our friendly staff today. The holidays are just around the corner so we want to send along wishes from our family to yours for a joyous and safe holiday season!