Driving in the winter months and in wintery like conditions can be challenging, tricky and even tragic. Roads in the winter months can quickly change from simply wet to extremely icy and present with driving hazards. The obvious safety measure is simply to avoid driving when conditions are near to treacherous. However, if it is absolutely necessary to travel with these winter conditions, then the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to share some important tips for safe winter driving.
IMPORTANT STEPS TO TAKE TO ENSURE SAFE WINTER DRIVING
First and foremost, we highly recommend you carefully plan your trip if you must travel in dangerous winter conditions. Make certain you stay atop of the weather and make every effort to plan your driving when precipitation will be at the lowest level and the roads have been properly treated. Always check traffic reports and any delays that may occur along your travel route. When planning your travels try to travel along highways and main roads since they are always treated, plowed and sanded well before any side roads.
It is important that you allow yourself extra time to get to your final destination and not have to rush. If roads become worsened as you travel you will want to have that extra time to reach your destination safely and on time. The team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to remind our clients that though you hope to travel without any issues, you want to ensure you are prepared just in case. Be sure to stock your vehicle with a variety of emergency supplies as well as a snow scraper and brush. You may want to consider putting some cat litter or salt in your trunk in case your vehicle gets stuck during your travels. Further, you should stock a few blankets, some water, a flashlight and some flares in the vehicle as well.
It is critical that you prepare your passengers and vehicle for the winter weather you will be travelling in. Be sure that you check your oil level, hoses and belts before you begin the trip and make certain your antifreeze is at an acceptable level. You also want to check your tire treads and ensure that your windshield wipers are in idea working order. It also goes without saying, that before you start your travels, make certain to clear away any snow or ice that is accumulated on your vehicle. It is important that your vision is not obstructed in any way when setting out to drive in challenging winter weather.
OTHER BASIC SAFETY PROTOCOLS
One of the most important and yet obvious safety components of any trip is to ensure that you stay alert and follow all safety measures to keep you and your family and other passengers safe. Be sure that everyone in the vehicle has their seat belt on and that all young children are belted in the back seat. Put your headlights on when you begin your travels to ensure your visibility to other drivers and keep them on throughout the journey.
Be sure to reduce your travel speed in your efforts to prevent any skidding or possible accidents. We strongly recommend that you accelerate and brake carefully and cautiously and always allow plenty of space between your vehicle and the one in front of you when winter driving. Driving
conditions can be challenging when attempting to change lanes because snow and slush tends to build up between lanes and can easily cause your vehicle to slip and slide when crossing over.
Finally, when driving on potentially slippery roads we highly recommend you do not use your cruise control or even your overdrive. Make it a point to use low gears so as to maintain ideal traction and a much-needed grip on the road surface. This is absolutely a must do when driving on any roads with a steep incline.
YOUR TRUSTED TEAM
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin, our team of automotive specialists is steadfast in their commitment to provide all our valued clients with the best all round automotive parts and services this side of Tennessee. Our team takes a great deal of pride in providing our clients with insight and data needed for safe winter driving in our efforts to keep you, your family and your vehicle safe from any harm. Winter is right around the corner, so be sure to bring your vehicle to our trusted facility and ensure it is prepped and ready for the challenging winter driving ahead. We look forward to serving you and want to remind you all to be sure to drive smart and safe this winter!
Well, winter is upon us as are slippery and dangerous driving conditions that can occur during the frigid temperatures and storms. Whether ice, sleet or snowy conditions, driving in the winter months can be more than challenging. With that said, the team of dedicated automotive specialists here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to provide some important tips and insight to our valued clients on safe winter driving.
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin our clients are always our number one priority, which is why, in addition to our high-quality automotive products and services, we offer the highest quality customer service as well. As part of our ongoing commitment to providing superior customer service to our clients, we make every effort to offer informed advice on safety and safe driving as well as automotive industry news. Our team of friendly, dedicated techs always puts the well-being, happiness and safety of our clients first. With that in mind, we wanted to take this time now to share with you some helpful and important tips for safe winter driving.
IT’S ALL ABOUT SAFETY
When travelling in various types of winter conditions, whether travelling by day or by night, it is important to keep a safe distance of at least one car’s length behind the vehicle travelling in front of you. Should the vehicle ahead encounter slippery conditions and start swerving and skidding, when you are far enough behind you can slow your speed and take necessary steps to avoid an accident.
One of the biggest problems winter driving causes is that of visibility issues as a result of icing or a steady snowfall on your windshield. When experiencing visibility issues, it is very important that you keep an even greater distance of at least two car lengths from the vehicle in front of you as well as slowing your travel speed. With visibility issues, it is critical that you remain focused on the road ahead and alert to your surroundings in order to be able to act and react quickly and effectively in an unsuspecting circumstance.
The team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommends that when driving in the winter, you drive with your lights on. During a storm, especially, this will provide you with an added layer of safety and protection and will also allow for other traffic and vehicles to be aware of your presence both ahead and behind you.
SOME IMPORTANT TIPS TO ENSURE YOUR VEHICLE IS WINTR DRIVING READY
To ensure that your vehicle is prepped and ready to handle the winter driving challenges, start by checking the air levels in your tires and ensuring they are appropriate. The cold weather temperatures more times than not cause your tires to lose air pressure. In addition, make certain that your windshield wiper blades are in mint condition. You certainly don’t want to find yourself caught in a storm with wiper blades that are old and worn and cannot provide you with much needed clear visibility.
Further considerations and helpful tips include testing the defroster in your vehicle to be sure it is working properly. Your defroster will be used often throughout your winter driving and will help to enhance your driving visibility.
Finally, we want to remind you to top off all your fluids and perform an oil change. Top off such fluids as the windshield wiper fluid, antifreeze, transmission fluid and brake fluid, all of which will contribute to safer winter driving. The team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin is on hand to take care of these tasks for you and help prepare and maintain your vehicle throughout the winter driving season.
THE FRIENDLY PROFESSIONALS WHO ARE ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin our team of dedicated professionals are committed to providing you with only the highest quality automotive products and services this side of the state. With that said, in addition to the important tips for safe winter driving we have shared with you, if you are in need of auto repairs or services of any type, we are the team for you. Simply reach out to one of our staff to make your appointment. With a new year upon us, we would like to send along wishes to all our valued clients for a safe, healthy, and prosperous 2021 New Year ahead!
Winter driving can be challenging sometimes. Drivers have no way of knowing what can happen when on a winter road trip, which is why the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommends every driver have a winter car kit for survival should the unexpected happen.
A car kit that is properly stocked with all the right items from a snow brush and ice scraper as well as a first aid kit to jumper cables, flares and a flashlight can certainly prove to be a lifesaver in an emergency. In addition, your car kit should also include a cell phone charger, fluorescent flag, bottled water, some dry food, snacks, hats and mittens, a pocket knife, and hand warmers. A fully stocked car kit can be a true lifesaver in a storm or road emergency.
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin, we know how cold the winter months can be which is why we also encourage all our valued clients to engage in proper car maintenance as well. Be sure to have your pre-winter checkup so as to avoid any unsuspecting problems on the road. Our team of certified technicians suggests you perform appropriate maintenance checks to your tires, hoses, belts, battery, wipers and coolant to ensure you are prepared and ready for any winter challenges.
EMERGENCY 911 TIPS AND SURVIVAL TIPS
Should you find yourself stranded in a storm and are unable to call a family member or friend here are some tips to follow.
- Call 911. Give them your location, tell them the problem you are having and advise them of the status of each of your passengers.
- Tie the fluorescent flag to your car’s antenna or if you prefer, simply hang it out the window.
- If it is night time be sure to keep your dome light on since rescue crews will be able to spot that glow of light from a distance.
- Use your emergency flares and flashers as needed.
- Don’t try shoveling your vehicle out if you happen to be stuck in a snow bank because this can lead to overexertion and can ultimately result in injury.
- Stay in your vehicle.
- Don’t attempt to walk in the storm since you can either get lost or tire out before reaching a safe destination. In addition, in a storm, other vehicles may not be able to see you walking which puts you in grave danger. Your vehicle will be the best protection and shelter for you and your passengers until help arrives.
- Be sure if you need to run the vehicle for heating purposes, that you check the exhaust pipe and make certain it is free of snow and that you only run the engine for 10-minute intervals. Snow can plug the exhaust system which can cause carbon monoxide, which is deadly, to seep into your car. Be sure to keep a window slightly open the whole time you are stranded and especially when you have the engine running.
- Though it may not be the most comfortable or secure feeling, be sure to keep a positive attitude and stay alert until help arrives.
FRANKLIN’S TOP-RATED AUTO TEAM
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin we strive to deliver the best all round automotive products, services and repairs this side of Tennessee. Our team of dedicated professionals is steadfast in their commitment to meet the individual needs of all our clients. We take pride in our affordable prices, our quick turnaround times and our full lineup of quality automotive products.
There is truly no automotive fix too big or too small for our team. To learn more about winter driving, preparing a survival winter car kit or to schedule a service appointment, reach out to one of our friendly staff today. The holidays are just around the corner so we want to send along wishes from our family to yours for a joyous and safe holiday season!
Most drivers are not fans of driving in the winter months since it presents with a number of challenges, one of which is that of fuel efficiency. During the winter months, when the temperatures drop below freezing levels, it causes winter fuel economy to drop as well. Vehicles can experience a gas mileage drop of nearly 10-12% when temperatures fall below the 20-degree marker. With that said, the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to share with our valued clients some important information and tips for reducing fuel inefficiency this winter.
CAUSES OF FUEL INEFFICIENCY
There are a number of contributing factors including:
- It takes longer for a vehicle’s engine to reach its optimal fuel-efficient temperature in the colder months resulting in increased levels of fuel inefficiency;
- Gasoline supplied to the pumps in the winter months provides less energy to the vehicle per gallon than it does in the warmer seasons;
- Typically, cold air causes drag as does other forms of wind resistance which ultimately results in fuel inefficiency;
- The use of defrosters and heated seats in the winter months draws a good deal of power from the engine which contributes to increased fuel consumption over time; and
- Tire traction is reduced in the cold weather months because of a decrease in tire pressure, which can easily contribute to an increase in fuel usage and minimize your fuel efficiency.
HOW TO BOOST YOUR WINTER FUEL ECONOMY
- Minimize short driving trips – In the winter months, your vehicle’s engine takes a whole lot longer to warm up. With that said, when you drive short distances you contribute to fuel inefficiency because most of the running time is dedicated to warming up the engine. Try to minimize the number of short trips you make during the cold weather months.
- Reduce Vehicle Idling time – Idling your vehicle for long periods of time minimizes your fuel economy and really does no good for the vehicle. Allowing your vehicle to run for a mere 30 seconds is all you need since driving the vehicle is what actually warms up the engine faster.
- Beware of Your Tire Pressure – Ensuring that your tire pressure is accurate during the cold weather months will help to increase your winter fuel economy. Be sure to check your tire pressure routinely with a tire gauge to ensure you are taking advantage of maximum traction and have proper tire pressure at all times which will certainly help to increase your fuel efficiency.
- Give your vehicle some TLC – Another simple tip for reducing fuel inefficiency is to park your vehicle, during the cold weather months, in a warm parking garage or other accommodation. A little bit of this TLC will certainly go a long way during the winter season.
- Pay attention to oil levels – Motor oil plays a significant role in your vehicle’s performance year-round, and especially in the winter months. Be sure you are using appropriate oil in your vehicle for the cold weather seasons so as to increase your engine’s overall fuel efficiency. If you are uncertain as to which type of oil you should be using in your vehicle, reach out to our highly experienced technicians for assistance.
We hope you have found this information and these simple, but important tips useful. For more information about winter fuel economy or if you are in need of any type of automotive products or services, we have got you covered. Reach out to the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin today. We look forward to serving you and to providing you with the best all round automotive products, services and repairs this side of Franklin!
Well the holidays are here, which usually means extensive holiday driving for a lot of folks. With that said the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to ensure that your vehicle is ready for all those highway miles you have to cover. We have put together some important tips to help you prepare for all your winter driving. Read More
Winter weather comes year after year and we all find ourselves having to drive in those frigid winter months. With that said the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin want to remind all our valued clients to engage in cold weather vehicle maintenance before the winter season arrives. There are a variety of helpful tips you can use to winter proof your car that we have listed here below. Read More
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin, it is certainly safe to say that we know a good deal about cars and tires alike. With that said, often times our clients will inquire as to whether or not it is necessary to invest in winter tires. When the temperatures outside begin to drop and winter makes its presence known, there are many benefits of having winter tires. Read More
With winter quickly creeping up on us, it would be foolish to try to head into the cold winter season without properly preparing your vehicle. With that said, the folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommend you take advantage of our affordable Franklin auto services to ensure safe driving and traveling this winter. Winter driving can certainly be a bit of a challenge and struggle, but with proper routine maintenance and care, your vehicle will be ready to handle it all. Read More
We all know how challenging winter driving can be with slippery conditions, snow, ice and other winter related elements. Being aware of your surroundings when driving this winter and knowing what precautions to take will certainly help minimize any winter vehicle accidents. The folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin are committed to providing superior services to all our valued clients and that includes these helpful winter driving tips. Our highly skilled and professional team wants to ensure that you are prepared for all types of winter driving conditions this season. Read More
With winter quickly creeping up on us, it would be foolish to try to head into the cold winter season without properly preparing your vehicle. Performing a car care check is essential to safe driving and travelling in the winter. Winter driving can certainly be a bit of a challenge and struggle, but with proper routine maintenance and care, your vehicle will be ready to handle it all.
Before heading out to drive this fall and winter, take some time to perform these typical recommended service repairs to prep your vehicle for winter: Read More