Most drivers are not fans of driving in the winter months since it presents with a number of challenges, one of which is that of fuel efficiency. During the winter months, when the temperatures drop below freezing levels, it causes winter fuel economy to drop as well. Vehicles can experience a gas mileage drop of nearly 10-12% when temperatures fall below the 20-degree marker. With that said, the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to share with our valued clients some important information and tips for reducing fuel inefficiency this winter.
CAUSES OF FUEL INEFFICIENCY
There are a number of contributing factors including:
- It takes longer for a vehicle’s engine to reach its optimal fuel-efficient temperature in the colder months resulting in increased levels of fuel inefficiency;
- Gasoline supplied to the pumps in the winter months provides less energy to the vehicle per gallon than it does in the warmer seasons;
- Typically, cold air causes drag as does other forms of wind resistance which ultimately results in fuel inefficiency;
- The use of defrosters and heated seats in the winter months draws a good deal of power from the engine which contributes to increased fuel consumption over time; and
- Tire traction is reduced in the cold weather months because of a decrease in tire pressure, which can easily contribute to an increase in fuel usage and minimize your fuel efficiency.
HOW TO BOOST YOUR WINTER FUEL ECONOMY
- Minimize short driving trips – In the winter months, your vehicle’s engine takes a whole lot longer to warm up. With that said, when you drive short distances you contribute to fuel inefficiency because most of the running time is dedicated to warming up the engine. Try to minimize the number of short trips you make during the cold weather months.
- Reduce Vehicle Idling time – Idling your vehicle for long periods of time minimizes your fuel economy and really does no good for the vehicle. Allowing your vehicle to run for a mere 30 seconds is all you need since driving the vehicle is what actually warms up the engine faster.
- Beware of Your Tire Pressure – Ensuring that your tire pressure is accurate during the cold weather months will help to increase your winter fuel economy. Be sure to check your tire pressure routinely with a tire gauge to ensure you are taking advantage of maximum traction and have proper tire pressure at all times which will certainly help to increase your fuel efficiency.
- Give your vehicle some TLC – Another simple tip for reducing fuel inefficiency is to park your vehicle, during the cold weather months, in a warm parking garage or other accommodation. A little bit of this TLC will certainly go a long way during the winter season.
- Pay attention to oil levels – Motor oil plays a significant role in your vehicle’s performance year-round, and especially in the winter months. Be sure you are using appropriate oil in your vehicle for the cold weather seasons so as to increase your engine’s overall fuel efficiency. If you are uncertain as to which type of oil you should be using in your vehicle, reach out to our highly experienced technicians for assistance.
We hope you have found this information and these simple, but important tips useful. For more information about winter fuel economy or if you are in need of any type of automotive products or services, we have got you covered. Reach out to the professionals here at Auto Clinic of Franklin today. We look forward to serving you and to providing you with the best all round automotive products, services and repairs this side of Franklin!
Well the holidays are here, which usually means extensive holiday driving for a lot of folks. With that said the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin wants to ensure that your vehicle is ready for all those highway miles you have to cover. We have put together some important tips to help you prepare for all your winter driving. Read More
Winter weather comes year after year and we all find ourselves having to drive in those frigid winter months. With that said the team here at Auto Clinic of Franklin want to remind all our valued clients to engage in cold weather vehicle maintenance before the winter season arrives. There are a variety of helpful tips you can use to winter proof your car that we have listed here below. Read More
Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin, it is certainly safe to say that we know a good deal about cars and tires alike. With that said, often times our clients will inquire as to whether or not it is necessary to invest in winter tires. When the temperatures outside begin to drop and winter makes its presence known, there are many benefits of having winter tires. Read More
With winter quickly creeping up on us, it would be foolish to try to head into the cold winter season without properly preparing your vehicle. With that said, the folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin highly recommend you take advantage of our affordable Franklin auto services to ensure safe driving and traveling this winter. Winter driving can certainly be a bit of a challenge and struggle, but with proper routine maintenance and care, your vehicle will be ready to handle it all. Read More
We all know how challenging winter driving can be with slippery conditions, snow, ice and other winter related elements. Being aware of your surroundings when driving this winter and knowing what precautions to take will certainly help minimize any winter vehicle accidents. The folks here at Auto Clinic of Franklin are committed to providing superior services to all our valued clients and that includes these helpful winter driving tips. Our highly skilled and professional team wants to ensure that you are prepared for all types of winter driving conditions this season. Read More
With winter quickly creeping up on us, it would be foolish to try to head into the cold winter season without properly preparing your vehicle. Performing a car care check is essential to safe driving and travelling in the winter. Winter driving can certainly be a bit of a challenge and struggle, but with proper routine maintenance and care, your vehicle will be ready to handle it all.
Before heading out to drive this fall and winter, take some time to perform these typical recommended service repairs to prep your vehicle for winter: Read More
Proper care and maintenance is vital to the performance and life expectancy of any vehicle. Here at Auto Clinic of Franklin we are committed and dedicated to providing top of the line Franklin Auto Maintenance services for all our valued clients. We take tremendous pride in our quality products and services and in helping our clients to properly maintain their vehicles.
Without proper routine maintenance of your vehicle, over time you will find yourself spending a great deal of money on costly vehicle repairs. Setting aside money regularly will ensure that you have the funding when the need arises to have maintenance or repairs performed on your vehicle. Further, we advise all our clients to get in the habit of scheduling routine maintenance appointments as well. Read More
We live in such a fast paced, hectic world. Getting from one place to the other is so important. Is it any wonder that our vehicles are so critical to our everyday life? Whether commuting to and from work each day or traveling for a vacation, a healthy maintained vehicle is essential. Here at The Auto Clinic of Franklin we are proud of our award-winning Franklin automotive services. We have provided all of our valued clients with our top-rated services and products here in Franklin over the past 10+ years. Read More
Vehicles by design are meant to be driven regularly. If you are planning on storing away your vehicle for months at a time, you’ll have to take some additional steps to ensure that they remain in good condition over time. Here are some quick tips to help keep your stored Franklin car in excellent shape.
Change the Oil
You don’t want to store your vehicle with worn oil because it has acids and other harmful compounds that can do damage if they are left sitting in place for too long. Do yourself a favor and change both the oil and the filter before you store the vehicle. It’s a simple procedure that will help keep your engine in better shape. Make sure to drive at least a few miles with the new oil in your Franklin car to get it running through your engine.
Oil the Plug Cylinders
Remove each of the spark plugs in your vehicle one by one. While they are out, add a teaspoon of engine oil to the threads of the cylinders. Secure the spark plugs in place once again. This procedure will help prevent rust from developing on the cylinders.
Support Your Franklin Car on Jack Stands
If you’ll be keeping your vehicle stored for a year or more, you need to take weight off your wheel bearings and other key suspension components. The best way to do this is to life the vehicle up off the ground using a set of jack stands underneath its frame.
Pull off the Wiper Blades
Take the wiper blades off the Franklin car to keep them from getting stuck to the windshield. If the wipers are allowed to get stuck in place they can cause damage to the windshield when removed.
Flush the Brake Lines
Look at the brake fluid in the system and if it’s a brownish color flush the fluid out, replacing it with brand-new fluid. Old brake fluid has water in it and can lead to rust if it isn’t moving around.
Cover the Franklin Car Up
Finally, make sure that you cover your Franklin car entirely. Get a large cover, or put it in a windowless storage area to protect it from the elements. A good cover will keep off the weather which can be particularly harmful to vehicles. Sunlight fades paint and damages the interior materials, rain, sleet and snow can cause corrosion and other issues.
Speak with us here at the Auto Clinic of Franklin, where we are able to help with the diagnostics, maintenance and repairs that are needed prior to putting your Franklin car in storage.